468x60

03 January 2010

My Napa Vacation

I just got back from one of the best vacations of my life. It seems that as I get older and time passes that phrase is written more and more. I don’t know if it is because I have grown to appreciate time off more or because it almost always involves my parents.

I am turning 27 later this month and I still live at home. I have heard the gamut of criticisms at my expense for this and as is typical of most aspects of me; it doesn’t affect me at all. I’ve had ex girlfriends tell me that I need to move out. That I need to do things on my own, that I need to “create equity” for myself. Almost as if I had been missing out on life because I live at home. I have co-workers who tell me I ride the “gravy train” and ask me when I am going to jump off. I can’t help but wonder if these people are just envious of my situation. Envious of the fact that I have an excellent relationship with my parents, envious of the fact that all of us would rather travel first class to Napa Valley for a week than paint our house and rooms every year. If they envy that I would rather go to Hawaii than live in my own apartment. If they envy that I would rather spend 100 dollars on a bottle of wine for a Saturday night meal instead of put 100 dollars towards a Lexus or a Mercedes. If they envy that I am single and spend my money when I want to on the things that I want to when I want to.

The fact is I have an excellent relationship with my parents and I truly enjoy their company. Sure, we argue. I’m stubborn as they come and so are they. Considering the fact we are around each other all day, every day, I would say we are a great example of a functioning relationship. I wouldn’t trade the moments I have with them for the deflection of any criticism at any time.

I relish in the fact that I have enjoyed them as much as possible in the time we have left. We never know what is going to happen. The world is such a crazy place now that you never know when a trip to the grocery store will be your last. When that moment comes I know that I will look back at all the wonderful things we have done together and smile or cry, either way they will be fond memories of joy. There is no amount criticism in the universe no matter how old, intelligent, rich, or good looking a person is that will make me change that.

4 comments:

miss_kay said...

Wow I feel like I am reading my own life story in your own male kingdom right now. I couldn't agree with you more.

Frecci said...

=-)

Anonymous said...

Hi smart in general and handsome can't deny it.

It is a wonderful thing you spend the time you spend with your loving family obviously you appreciate it and cherish it like some of us whom happen to be good sons and daughters. Family always comes first.

I hope when my girls grow up they don't leave me even though I understand that the difficult moment of parting my OUR home to have their own extented family will come. At that time it will be the most difficult time of my life but I will let them make their on life as I made my own.

There is absolutely nothing wrong about living with your parents and yes you do have the advantages of being able to spend that extra money on things that are important or simply things that you enjoy doing.

Love your friend,

Maria T. Victorero

Unknown said...

Frecci:

Its not jealousy or envy. On the contrary, my friend. They were simple questions to perhaps make you think about your life and where you wanna go, do, experience.
However at this stage in your life you have all the best things in the world, vacations to Napa, Hawaii, a beautiful roof over your head, goals all being accomplished, health, and most of all unconditional love from your parents. Please dont ever take my questioning your reason as an insult or negative. They were questions to see where you stand and what you think is important.... just to get to know YOU.

Our communication skills suck, never fails..... I'm sorry.

- X -

 
ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20 ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20