468x60

07 June 2009

Yes Man - Enjoying life

I recently watched the Jim Carrey movie "Yes Man" and it was an awakening experience. The movie, while exaggerated, hit on a point that is true in most circumstances. The point is that positive energy attracts positive energy.

While almost everything in my life has been going well, one thing has not and that is my dating life. It is very true that the majority of women I date I'm better off not dating but even the coldest person gets lonely every once in a while.

I recently went out with a beautiful and intelligent girl named "Yusmila". I met this girl in class and from the moment I saw her felt something was special about her. The last day of class I finally had the courage to ask her number and she gave it to me. Within two weeks Yusmila and I went on our first date.

The night was beautiful so I took her to a restaurant in Key Biscayne with an outstanding view of Miami. The date went well or so I thought. It turns out, and she was right, that I was very aggressive. Not in a bad way but just overly enthusiastic about being on a date with her. There is no doubt this is true. This woman is amazing in my opinion and I was glad to have a chance to date her. The next day I felt something was wierd and reacted in my usually cold fashion. Unfortunately Yusmila was not a girl that was going to tolerate that. After that day the responses were cold from her and sparse when they used to be warm and constant. I must admit I felt horrible. I was reeling from the experience and was just incredibly irritable. I was fed up with everything and I was on a short fuse for some time.

This is when I decided to get out of town and visit my best friend Mike in Jacksonville. I really wanted to get away from everything that was Miami, namely I wanted to be able to avoid Yusmila on my own terms, not her blowing me off. It is on this trip, on the first day, that I watched the movie "Yes Man". The movie reminded me about the impact of a positive attitude. Something that had gotten lost since my recovery from Leukemia just 7 years earlier. I was saying "No" to hanging out with friends when I really had nothing better to do. I was missing out on life. I was missing out on the very thing that I told myself I would take full advantage of if I got a second chance.

That trip was amazing. I only complained or bickered once on the entire trip and that was because I was extremely tired. When I got back to Miami I have been a different person at work, at the gym, and in my social life. I have said "Yes" within reason to everything my friends have suggested. I have been more nice to everyone and even let things go when before I would have argued.

It's amazing but the simple trip to Jacksonville reinvigorated me. It made me realize that I have amazing friends that really care for me; friends that I was putting off. I have an amazing family that stays with me and puts up with even my worst moods. And most importantly it made me realize that I do need to give people a chance and just go with the flow in dating.

So something was special about Yusmila. Yusmila helped me realize that no matter how amazing a woman is, I am amazing too. That is evident everyday around me, it is something I had forgotten and most importantly something that I had forgotten to thank those people around me for. The people that really do care for my company no matter how affectionate or grumpy I am.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm totally your first follower!!
and i really loved this "Yes, man!" entry...
i don't know that i have a right to say this or if i sound crazy sayin it...but you are amazing, and no one should ever make you believe otherwise, not even yourself. everyone has their good days and their bad ones...but in the end, you gotta look at the big picture and realize that you deserve everything you want, and you should strive for and enjoy the best in life. :)
she's a comin....don't you worry ;)

Frecci said...

Thank you! And thank you for being my first... follower =-)

 
ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20 ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20