468x60

29 October 2009

Curb Your Enthusiasm's Distasteful Episode

I am a fan of the HBO show "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (CYE). The show is created, produced, and stars Larry David who was one of the executive producers of "Sienfeld". While I never got into the "Sienfeld" show I find CYE extremely funny and cynical. The show is always dealing with controversial issues such as homosexuality, religion, politics, race, etc. Until this Sunday the show in my opinion never crossed the line on any one of the aforementioned topics, sadly now I believe they have.

In Sunday's show Larry David makes fun of the Christian religion's belief in miracles by urinating on a painting of Jesus Christ and telling a woman that it was crying. I am not a practicing Catholic nor Christian but I find this distasteful and offensive.

As I have said before I am a proponent of free speech and it is CYE's and HBO's right to air contents of this nature. It is also my right to start my own little boycott of the show and spread my disgust on this blog. I have written them an email stating that I will keep spreading negative reviews about the show and the channel until they apologize formally. I told HBO that they should take the same consideration with Christians as they have with Jews. I have a hard time believing that any character on that show would urinate on a Star of David and I went on to tell them that they should keep those same standards for any religious article.

In the past I have told my friends and family how much I enjoy this show and how I highly recommend watching it. I now am telling you, my friends and family, to join me in boycotting "Curb Your Enthusiasm" until they apologize for this act. All religions should be treated with respect as there is much good to gain from each point of view.

When a commentator makes a negative comment about black people the Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are immediately on the airwaves calling them a racist. When someone sprays a swastika on a Temple the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) goes on high alert. Yet, when a Hollywood millionaire urinates on a painting of Jesus Christ HBO calls it "playful". This is ridiculous, one sided, and completely unacceptable. There is no reason to disrespect the Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, or any faith for that matter. Is there anyone else out there who wants to defend Christianity? Or have we all succumb to the methods of groups like the ADL and the National Action Network: "He who screams the loudest quiets the other"

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20 ss_blog_claim=8affd83e63a24a235f0d6656ef285f20